I think you can all tell I love the fey. They’re just so very interesting and I wish we had an actual Faerie race (Pixies would be nice, by the way, Wizards!). That being said, I’m continuing the trend with the fey folk and made a playable race.
“You’d like to think that they’re all little people-like things that sip out of acorn cups and dance in the first beams of sunlight at day’s start. Do not ever think such a thought. They will hunt you down in the night and in dream-land for the fun of it, tease you with promises then destroy them in front of your eyes because you fail to see what they see. The Atrial are not to be tested. I know this, because I once fell madly in love for one. Your sister was spirited off into their realm for my mistakes….”
Mysterious figures that wander the farthest reaches of the realm; through brambles, thorns and watery riverways, the Atrial sneak and flit about bringing enchantment to these wild places. Magic courses through their entire being, which touches the land that they cross. But should adventurers cross them, may doom befall them in their travels.
Languages: Common, Sylvan
Appearance: Oftentimes mistaken as common elves, the Atrial are essentially the original descendants of the elven race. However, unlike the mortal beings, their features can be derived from all mannerisms of places. An adventurer may find one with monarch butterfly wings and antennae while another may encounter an Atrial with stag horns and cloven hooves. The appearances are often due to their Sub-Race but it could be no more than a simple glamour.
– Stat Increase: +2 to Charisma.
– Age: The fey folk are long-lived, even more so then the elves whom mortal races sometimes get mistaken for the sylvan creatures. Exceeding 800 years, even a young fey is ancient. This complicates when they reach an adult age as they never quite lose their childish antics.
– Size: Despite how folklore depicts them, these creatures are often quite tall and willowy, growing between 6 to 7 feet tall. Their size commands attention in the room, if not for their other-worldly beauty. There are shorter beings too, however, and even taller ones still that are rare even amongst them.
– Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
– Darkvision: You have superior vision in dark or dim conditions, making it easier for you to evade potential threats in the world. You can see in dim light within 60 feet as if it were bright light, and darkness as if it were dim light. In darkness, you cannot make out colors: only tones of black and white.
– Fey Ancestry: You cannot be put to sleep through magical means and have advantage on saving throws on being charmed.
– Wyld Blood: As a Sylvan being, you have an innate spellcasting in you that relies on your Charisma stat. The cantrip you may cast as much as you would like. Once you reach level 3, you may cast the third level spell as a 2nd-level spell once per day. Once you reach level 5, you may cast this once per day.
Cantrip (at start): Dancing Lights
3rd Level: Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
5th Level: Spike Growth
– Magic Resistance: The Atrial have advantage against spells.
Sub-Races: The Dawn and Dusk
*Note: many traits of the Atrial, such as wings, may grant special conditions such as flight in your game. Work with your players on the finer aspects of these traits, as it is a case-by-case matter. *
As a varied lot, the Atrial have two known sub-races but there may be more based on what world they exist in. Upon choosing to play an Atrial, you can choose to play either a Dawn or Dusk type, which represent two sides of their sylvan race. In some realms, they are known as the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, or may go by nothing at all. Standing side by side, though, reveals a world of differences between them.,
Dawn/Seelie: Dawn Atrial are generally more good natured, and have features based on insects: multifaceted
eyes, fabulous wings and even multiple arms (no more than six, however). They are most active during the day, mostly the hours of sunrise, hence where they draw their names from.
Stat Increase: Dexterity increases by 1. The Dawn Atrial naturally are more nimble to evade predators and those who wish them harm.
At Home In the Wilds: You are proficient with the Nature skill.
Tree Stride: Once on their turn, a Dawn Atrial can use 10 feet of movement to step magically into one living tree and emerge from a second living tree within 60 feet of the first, appearing in an unoccupied space within 5 feet of the second. Both trees much be Large or bigger.
Dusk/Unseelie: Dusk Atrial could be seen as the parents of the drow; with a malicious streak of ill-hearted trickery that is often meant to harm and even kill people. The Dusk sub-race’s appearance is based heavily on woodland creatures: horns, large claws, shaggy fur and tails all fall under how they can appear. On occassion, they may have wings like that of a bat.
Stat Increase: Intelligence increases by 1. As beings who are more active during the evening and late hours of the day, they study the world around them and are always hungry for knowledge.
Sharp-Minded: You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
Mimicry: Dusk Atrial can mimic animal and humanoid sounds. A creature that hears the voices can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 13 Wisdom (Insight) check.
*The Atrial concept belong to me, Faith (Brynvalk). All art belongs to the original artists, all found on deviantArt.com *